Wednesday, October 11

The Manchester transportation system

Before I first arrived in the UK, mummy always tell me that the UK transportation system is so reliable that you can put your life to it. After spending a year here, I beg to differ. To be fair, most of the time it's ok, but when something goes wrong, I tend to be really really frustrated.

My first time being failed by the system was during my second GP visit in my first year. I went to the train station an hour ahead of the time but two trains to my destination were cancelled, leaving me about 20 minutes late for my first meeting with a patient.

And today another nonsense come by. I waited at the Failsworth station for a train to Manchester for almost an hour and a half only to be told by a fellow waiting passenger who called the rail enquiry that there's no train running because of technical fault. We were asked to use the bus replacement service instead. Fine. I thought this was bad enough. I waited for the bus for almost half an hour, then I saw a train leaving the platform! The train was up and running again and I missed it. I went up to the platform again and waited for at least another half an hour for the next train. And I've wasted at least 2 hours today because of this rubbish. To add on to my frustration. I wasn't in such a good state today. I had to wake up at 7am today for a HeartStart volunteering, endured 2 hours of car travel to and from the school, then brace through the rain to get to Failsworth Health Centre in Oldham then face this nonsense. I've been through all these with just a handful of cereal chucked into my mouth early in the morning and a cup a hot chocolate courtesy of the health centre in my belly. In the train station, I watched the rain stops and gets heavy and stops and gets heavy again. I was freezing and my feet really hurt because I was wearing a new shoes.

So to sum up, this is one of the low days that I had and I just want to vent my frustration towards the Manchester transportation system.

No comments: