Sunday, October 15

The legendary girls schools

I went to a secondary school which accepted only girls throughout its 109 years history since its beginning in 1893. But in the first year I left, they started admitting boys. Two years from now, yet another century old school which my sister went to, Kuen Cheng Girls School, will start to enrol boys. As a former student who attended its primary school (SJK(C) Kuen Cheng 1), I feel sad to learn the decision. I often wonder whether or not these changes are just inevitable.

Studying in an all girls school has been a really unique experience for me. While the school can be constantly filled with bitching and gossiping, we've also managed to cultivate some traditions rarely seen in co-ed school. I really missed those days when we screamed out loud in extremely high pitch breaking our throats (and other people's eardrums) for little things like getting into the semifinals of choral speaking competition. Girls are also really fond of crying over little things. I remembered Ai Ming, who was one of the toughest person I've ever seen, cried a few days before our form 5 sports day while captaining the Maclay house because of the pressure. Sports days are the best. We somehow always managed to come up with good cheers which rhyme well, making every single spectators get into the sporting spirit. I had never had a boring sports day. I admit that guys can be real jokers at times but we girls had our own jokes about guys. I recalled having laughed every single day in school during my fifth form and that's just really fun.

One thing I really need to give credit to my secondary school is the boost in self confidence I get. I would never be who I am today without BBGS/SMKSBU. A girls school gives girls the opportunity to do great things without the help of guys, and that's really important. In college especially, girls would always be excluded from important leadership role and physically demanding tasks. That kind of annoyed me because I believe both gender should have equal opportunity to undertake important responsibilities as well sa carrying all kinds of tasks, physically demanding or not.

It is true that I had some problem dealing with guys when I study in higher education institution, but that's because I rarely have the chance to interact with the opposite sex. I don't go for tuition and the only guy in my family is my father. Not many people have such unique circumstances right? Furthermore dealing with guys is not an incredibly difficult skill to learn. It took me only a few weeks to get used to talking to guys.

Long live all girls schools!

No comments: