Monday, November 5

Disorientation

I'm always disorientated in the ward, but today was particularly bad. After PBL at 4:30pm, I thought I would go on to the ward and practise examining some patients. I examine my first patient's abdomen. After the examination, I thank him and said 'have a nice weekend'.
Then went on to the next patient. This is a chap whom I already know (I've taken a history from him last Friday). He said 'what are you doing here on a sunday?', and I naturally went 'it's not sunday today, it's friday'... 'patient looking confused' ... I added 'no, I'm not trying to wind you up, it's definitely friday today'. So we went to arguing for a while, I even asked somebody else to come and clarify to the patient that today is indeed Friday!
Then, I made my way to the bus to go home. On the bus, I thought about the Crossing Borders meeting which I would be going to, which reminded me that today is a monday, not a friday! Aaaaaaaghhhhhhh!!! So I'm as confused as some of the patients in the ward..

Apart from the disorientation I had a great day. The first patient I examined has spider naevi and probable hepatomegaly, and the second chap has a clear basal crepitation. Ward round was enjoyable. I always feel like part of the team in Janet's ward round. I'm really grateful to be included in the team. I think when I become a consultant I want to be like her. And it's very nice to finally have a role model to look up to after 6 weeks in hospital.

No comments: