Tuesday, November 27

Random stuff

Last Saturday was a very tiring day. I worked from 0700-2230. Did home care. It was my first time actually, but did not feel too nervous because I've had a bit of experience in care already. Must admit that although I don't mind doing it again, I don't particularly enjoy it. I like nursing heavily confused people in hospital because they are hilarious!

Finished my attachment with the renal firm and started the surgical firm. Again, must admit that although I've had a great time there, I don't particularly miss it as eight weeks of clerking patients presenting with rather similar symptoms can be a little boring, although having said that I haven't learn everything that I think I should know about renal.

I've been a little naughty today going back to renal outpatient to practise taking blood. (No where else to go - got kicked out from the undergraduate building because of the fourth year exams, not even allowed to get my book from the locker) I'm improving - took blood from 3 patients and all was successful! (Current venupuncture stat: 6 successes 3 failures; Current cannulation stat: 1 success). And now that I'm in the renal firm I'm aiming to be doing at least 1 cannulation, 1 catheterisation and 1 assisting in theatre - don't know how, I need to find out soon.

The surgical firm is definitely a refreshing change. The firm seems better organised in terms of teaching and the wards are more spacious and felt more relaxed. I've not figured out how the medical staff organise themselves in managing the patients hence felt a little lost for the past two days (but this is acceptable since today was only my second day).

I thought I wouldn't enjoy surgery but surprisingly I found it ok. Went to observe a paraumbilical hernia repair this morning. Quite straight forward I suppose but I think I learn better from simple things like this for a start. There was a nice friendly registrar who talked me through what they were doing, taught me a bit on hernia and examined a lady's hernia with me. The consultant was nice as well, although she was in such a moany mood that she kept on talking about how the clinical staff are being undervalued by unintelligent NHS managers. I had to stay until about five yesterday to clerk one of the patient for the operation but it was all worth it. I listened to the anaesthetist taking history and discussing the anaesthesia, pain relief with the patient, then listened to the registrar consenting the patient. Those were well useful because I swear I was probably more clueless about the operation than the patient. Also the anaesthetist was really nice so I've learnt a little bit. It was my first time watching induction for general anaesthetic. Intubation looked scary. And I was quite shocked to see that the patient actually stopped breathing when the muscle relaxant was injected... after which only I remember that I've actually know this for ages from books already. It's just hard to believe. I mean in BLS, when a person is not breathing, you are suppose to give chest compression straight away, implying how close 'not breathing' is to 'death'. Was this what happened to me as well 5 years ago when I had to be given general anaesthetic to remove a lump on my tongue? But don't be put off by my silly thoughts. Obviously not breathing for a few seconds isn't harmful. I just need sometime to get used to this idea.

You guys at home, if you've received my post can you send me a text message just so that I know please? Thanks. I miss all of you and I love you!

No comments: