Wednesday, October 3

Disappointing start

So I held high expectations. So I should have been warned. Firm attachment isn't as exciting as I thought it would be. Renal ward is good. I recon I will learn a lot not only about the urinary tract, but also the cardiovascular as well as the respiratory system. But I'm just kind of lost. The consultant just told us to clerk lots and lots of patients, and attend time tabled ward rounds and teaching. Did not bother to introduce us to the medical and nursing team in the wards. So you can imagine the staff seeing us as just 'some medical students' buzzing around the ward. Patients are nice. Only sometimes a little crowded, having eight of us in the ward at one time. Medical staff are not very enthusiasted to teach, just looked busy all the time. No, we don't feel like part of the team at all at the moment. It was just quite pointless being there besides opportunity to clerk patients and browsing through the electronic patient records. Clinical teaching sucks. Two person presented a case each, and the doctor commented on the history taken. No discussion, no teaching and little learning.

Maybe it's me. I should make some readjust my own expectations.

2 comments:

Yee Yen said...

I've finished my first week in the renal firm now. On reflection actually, I think it's not too bad. I loved the ward round that I've attended, and I love chatting and building rapport with patients, although I haven't quite gathered enough courage to fully examine all my patients. I'll not let the pessimism within my group affect me - I'll stay positive and get the most out of this attachment!

Yuen said...

There, there, yee yen....

Yea, I kinda understand how you feel, regarding physical examinations. I still have my qualms about examining my patients, despite being in hospital for 13 weeks now. A number I've seen here are in so much pain and distress, that somehow I feel it's unjustified....having them to endure another round of "discomfort" in the hands of an inexperienced medic.

However, most of them are really, REALLY nice....they actually don't mind me examining them, so long as I either ask them politely, or I could come back and examine them some other day....when they don't feel so sick. XD

Things should get better with time, so cheer up!!! *winks*