Friday, October 19

Getting better

These two weeks, particularly this week have been productive eventhough I actually spent less time on the ward compared to the first week. We are getting braver at voicing our concern for lack of quality teaching to registrars. I also found myself communicating a little more to the medical team, which obviously makes life easier even if it only means that one of the consultant has learnt to recognise that I'm a medical student attached to the renal ward.

Just going to summarise what I did this week:

Monday: Teaching for the whole day, learnt catheterisation, otherwise unproductive
Tuesday: Went to contact lens clinical trial in the morning and earned 20pounds. HPN clinic in the afternoon - very very good, learnt loads.
Wedsnesday: Consultant ward round-learnt about CV exam, leg exam, enterocutaneous fistula, read observation chart, anti-anginal drugs, pCO2 etc - very useful, consultant said 'the medical student don't know anything but very enthusiasted', took it as a compliment. Practised venupuncture and cannulation on dummies, getting steady. Clerked two more patients. Watched ST insert a femoral line and the nurse preparring and finishing dialysis.
Thursday: Good clinical teaching on abdo exam. Took a history togather with 3 other people in my group as part of the teaching(... sort of realise that my history taking being more systematic). PBL on renal artery stenosis - especially enjoyable because I've picked up quite a good amount of renal medical knowledge.
Friday: First time in theatre for Permcath insertion, wore oversized scrubs (size S). Dr was nice, cared to explained things to me, nurses was friendly showing me around. Also discussed an SLE patient's management with the doctor and learnt immunosuppressive therapy. Went to ward and took blood from two patients. One failure (stabbed him 3 times still no blood...) and one success (at my first go!) [overall venupuncture stats - 3 successes 2 failures]. Examine a lady's abdomen and took a history from a chap who spoke very little English.

Mummy asked if I'm quite busy nowadays because I'm seldom online. Indeed, I'm really busy. I shouldn't be, there's only 6 hours of scheduled teaching in a week in our timetable. We are expected to fill up the rest of the time ourselves (self-directed learning). I think I've done fairly well in maximising the learning opportunities available. I lack sleep every night because I was trying to do so much reading about conditions or procedures I've learnt during the day. But its been really exciting. I love renal medicine!

No comments: