Friday, September 21

Unfortunate fate with bicycle - I NEARLY DIE!

I am back at Manchester for the third year of my medical course. The course now is based at Hope Hospital, which is about 7 miles away from where I live. Since I was informed that I will be placed at Hope, I have planned to cycle to the hospital everyday. Cyclist friends have been telling me how refreshing and amazing cycling is and I am of course absolutely convinced, being such a natural cyclist - I have never fall off my bicycle before - until this week.

Before buying the bicycle, I did think long and hard about the distance, the traffic, the maintenance etc. While I had those potential worries, I am sorely tempted by the prospect of burning off 800+ calories per day and saving money on transportation. So I bought a bicycle - Trek T10 for ladies which costs 276 pounds including helmet, light and puncture resistance tyres. I actually wanted a second hand one but they didn't have them on the store, so I chose the cheapest one available. This was last Saturday.

Excitedly, I thought I would try out the route to Hope on Sunday morning. I went out at around 7:30 as that was not a peak hour for traffic. Cycling was great, I enjoyed the breeze and the sense of freedom. The bits uphill was quite a bit of hard work, but it was not too bad for me. It took me about 50 minutes to an hour to reach my destination. Good job! After a quick rest, I started to make my way back home. Then I arrived at an roundabout tunnel. It was a downhill slope and I thought I could control the bicycle. I took the risk and I fell, abrasing my knee. But that was no big deal. The disaster came next. I was just at Chorlton Road when the paddle wouldn't go forward anymore. I pulled over and inspect the bike. An portion of the inflated bit of the front tyre was butting out of the wheel... what a scary sight! I tried in vain to force the it in. After a few minutes, there was a loud bang on the tyre, followed by another explosive bang. At that point, I was at least 5 miles away from home and I need rescuing... So I called Lauren to pick me and my bicycle up with her car, and luckily she was really kind enough to spend her Sunday morning helping me. And on Tuesday, I spent 2 hours dragging the bicycle with the punctured tyre to the shop for repair.

As I would not judge a person by first encounter, I was determined to count my fate with this bicycle because of this incident. Yesterday, again, I cycled first along Rusholme and Oxford Road to the student union for the freshers fayre. That was fine. Later on I made my way to Hope - another smooth journey. I managed to arrive in 40 minutes! After our venupuncture and cannulation session, I followed Tess to cycle back home. She cycled really quickly... About a mile away from the hospital, I tried to change lane by hand signal and the tyre sort of got trapped into the tram railing and I fell off my bike. This time was much scarier. I fell on the road and if the car at the back had not brake in time, I would have been run over. Disorientated for a while, I quickly regain my height, pull the bicycle to the pavement. A lady was asking me if I was all right, said loads of things to me but I just remembered that she said the tram line is known to be dead slippery.

I sat on the pavement for a half a minute to get my bearing. I stood up again, looked at the bike - the steering was twisted and locked to one side, the brake line and the chain came off. A fellow cyclist helped me put my steering facing forward again and put the brake line back. I fixed the steering alignment and the chain. But I decided that the bike was not safe to be ridden, and I was not safe to be riding, so I push the bicycle back to Hope's bicycle shed and went to A&E and get my wound on my knee and my hips sorted - don't worry, they only involve the skin. I was more worried of head injuries as the helmet did hit the road (having learnt about the effects of subdural hemorrhages etc). But I thought I was ok, still being able to push the bike all the way back and play sudoku in the waiting area. In A&E, the nurse gave me paracetamol while the doctor covered my knee with a dressing and gave me a tetanus jab. Then I left my bicycle locked at the hospital shed and took the tram back.

Now it's time for the pertinent question again: to cycle or not to cycle? I was first really put off by the punctured tyre on my first ride and now this accident seems to be an obvious indication for me not to continue cycling. True, I may be on my way making a nearly 300 pounds loss and daily deficit in 800+ calories burnt; but still, I can't risk my own life. When not at the verge of death, I always feel that death is nothing to be feared of. But at situation such as this accident, I was making a completely different stand. I don't want to die yet. I still have plenty of things to learn. I have yet to take a complete history from a patient. I have not tried abdo and respiratory examination on real patients. My effort in bringing my family together is still very much needed. I just have so much things to do. So, I've made up my mind. I will not take the risk of cycling anymore. I will no longer be cycling to Hope.

1 comment:

Annie Tan Yee Leng said...

Good thing you are safe. Someone up there must be looking after you. I understand the feeling especially you are out in a foreign land. All of us at home were discussing about your incident at home. Touching?? Hee... we still care about you even you are not around to remind us to care for you. Well.. all the best in whatever you do la. Keep the update. And please read my blog.. good news in studies from your sister.