Saturday, November 5

Another funny PBL...

So far PBL had never been dull n yesterday I had yet another exciting n funny PBL session. We were starting case 4 - about this vertically challenged guy, Angus. Since this case's so much about guys and their growth around puberty, I posed some questions to the guys to try n understand some physiological n mental changes around adolescence among the guys - U know, first hand account's always better than textbook description, isn't it? They told me some normal stuff which I could find out in textbooks, not the more intimate but typical things that happened. Then something struck me n I opened my mouth saying "When do you have wet dreams?", n all in the room went stunned for about 2 seconds, even Robert (our PBL tutor), n then just burst out laughing non stop without having my question answered. Rite... I wasn't expecting that... I didn't mean to be rude, honestly. I was just curious.. u know, not having many guys growing up with me. N I remember Fido saying that in Islam wetdream is the first indication of puberty in male, so I was just wondering about its authenticity. After that I learnt from Rob, John, Viv n Rhys that it's not culturally appropriate to openly talk about wetdreams here. It's quite shocking that even here in a Western country people are not ready to be open enough to talk about private stuff like that for scientific purposes. I'd definitely learnt something useful today.
Meanwhile I'd always been picked up to be bullied by the guys.. John's been nice, 'educating' me about Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan and Eric Clapton while Viv and Rhys had been teaching me nonsense (They told me the 'ogh' sound's generated each time you have sex...what rubbish..) Dissection's ever interesting. Besides examining (and smelling) the bodies, the guys were taking every opportunity to pick on me. Last week, some of the guys had to pull of their shirt for some living anatomy learning. Rhys was examined by all the girls (obviuosly including me) n then Viv hid Rhys's shirt, then told him it was me who did it because I wanted to see him naked longer... I felt annoyed, but at the same time felt funny n couldn't help laughing. I'm really happy to be with this PBL group... reminds me of the M03P guys who always kacau me...
And because I'm a perfectionist n worked hard for every PBL cases, it seems like I'm the 'Miss Know-it-all' in PBL. I enjoy the label to an extent, but prefer not to be labelled like that. It makes people feel uncomfortable in the group. I prefer to be seen equal to everybody. Perhaps its good for me to shut up once in a while n pretend to be stupid for a while so that other people's self esteem can recover and rebuild. In this way it'd be easier for me to work with anyone in the group. I can't deny that I've got a headstart at disciplining myself to work hard - I'd been drilled to do that all my life, yet I obviously slack in other stuff that normal people around my age should know about...

No comments: