Thursday, August 21

Angry

I don't usually get angry when I'm at work. The hospital that I normally work at is fantastic, and I think the patients in this hospital are very lucky to receive such great care. Today was an exception.

H is a 94 year old man who has 'deteriorated' and 'dying'. Eventhough he couldn't express himself in words, if he is in distress, his body language would tell. It was 10 minutes before the end of my shift when I discovered his hands stained with poo, so was his blankets. He was in a mess. I looked at the clock. There was no way I could clean him up in 10 minutes on my own. So I asked for help from a permanent staff, she told me to ask the night staff as they had begin their shift 5 minutes ago. But the night staff said no. They were making themselves a brew and I had to ask another day staff (agency) who kindly agreed to help. We both went home 15 minutes later than we were supposed to.

I didn't mind staying longer to help a patient in need. I just felt bad for dragging the other girl along. The thing is, how can anyone prioritize having a cup of tea over cleaning up a dying patient literally covered in poo? That just left me fuming for a bit. I could have left H sleeping on his poo and go off duty, but I just couldn't do it. I really can't say for others, but if I'm the one dying, I won't want to be left in that state at all. And I believe in karma if I choose to ignore, things will get back on me in one way or another.

I think I did the right thing and had the right to be slightly angry.

2 comments:

Wan Cheng said...

U did the right thing.. Dun be angry at them anymore.. They just dun understand things u do..

Yee Yen said...

Haha... Of course I'm not angry anymore. And my conscience is clear so thats good.