Sunday, April 20

Arrogance

Last week, I was in the ward with two other final year medical students. I like being with them. They are so busy catching up with revision and I get to learn stuff essential for exams. One of them was really nice, teaching me lots of mnemonics and loved playing the teacher, quizzing me on various things and enthusiastically predicting the OSCE stations that may come up in my end of year exams. The other one was alright I thought, but he became more annoying as the day went. He didn't really want to engage in conversation with me and the other nice guy. And then later on, he observed my cannulation technique and kept on telling me all sorts, building up the pressure, and finally I thought he was quite happy that I failed so he could have a go. The nice guy said he's over the top, sometimes feeling that he's better than everyone else. He jokingly said that I would be like that in two years time.

Which really made me wonder. I could actually turn out to be arrogant like the other guy when I reach his stage. I don't want to turn out like that. But, really, can what should I do to avoid it? What should I do if I already know more than I should? I sometimes try to keep quiet to give others a chance and to not show off too much. But sometimes others may see that as arrogance. I have clear weaknesses too - everyone who knows me can tell that I can't make idle conservation easily and I rarely attend social events, which makes others misjudge me.

In a recent portfolio review, I told the tutor that I feel bad for taking extra initiative to learn more than I am expected to. And she told me that's nonsense. My most enjoyable placement was the SSC in A+E, not only because it was a great learning place, but also because I don't have to lower my standard according to the ability of the medical students of my year group. It's complicated.

At the end of the day, I don't want to be better than anyone else. I just want to be a good doctor, a doctor who knows my stuff well. I don't know how is it like to practise medicine in Malaysia. But I would expect less senior support given the shortage of doctors in the rural areas. So when I am alone in the deep jungle of Sabah treating the indigenous people, I don't want to make mistake on my patients because I haven't learn enough in medical school.

5 comments:

The Little Medic said...

It sounds to me like you are just what PBL has been looking for, you sound like the type of student PBL is designed for. It is a shame we're not all like you.

Shame it doesn't work for some people.

Yee Yen said...

Hi little medic

Such an honour for you, a celebrity blogger to visit my pathetic whinging blog! Shouldn't you have shut down the computer and be revising now... :)

Well, maybe it's a cultural difference. In college while I was doing International Baccalaureate in Malaysia, we were treated like proper adult. We learn and attend lessons if you want to. But if we don't want to, we just don't have to - only that we have to face the consequences ourselves after. They trained us to become 'professional students', and so our training have paid off.

I like self directed learning. But I can see how it creates a divide between the students who favour it and the ones who don't. And also because, as you realise, I haven't got a life.

Best of luck in your finals!

Wan Cheng said...

Or u may turn out to be like the other nice guy? It's all a matter of choice.. And self-reflection is always an advantage for urself.. If u dowan to be like tat not so nice guy, watch urself and be who u wan to be..
Haih.. I understand it's really hard when everyone is so different from u, and u dowan to be one of them, yet feel unhappy becos u cant fit in.. U are so far away i oso dunno how 2 make u feel better.. Just remember tat if u have not done anything wrong, if ppl misunderstand u as arrogant when u are trying to be not, just let it go la.. Dun be troubled by those little things.. Haih.. I cant wait 4 u to finish ur course and move back to Malaysia......

Yee Yen said...

O my goodness cheng, you've just fully described how i felt for the entire year.. you know i just couldn't find the right words to describe my feelings properly and you've just done it for me perfectly! Well done...

Have an exam coming up in two weeks, getting a wee bit nervous.

Aaron said...

Every great tale has its own humble beginning

Every great fall begins when pride takes over