Sunday, April 6

Next year

A while ago, I have decided that I don't really want to be too actively involved in Medsin next year, although I'll probably still continue coordinating a project and do some training occasionally. But last week a friend said I should go for the post of Manchester Medsin president next year. Then I had a rethink - it's nice to know that there are people who think that I can do it. But, no thanks. For two reasons really.

Firstly, I have underestimated the time commitment necessary in the clinical years. It's true to an extent that most of the firm allows medical students to 'do whatever you want'. However that's exactly my problem - I love medicine so much that I don't mind being in hospital from 9-5 everyday, in fact I really want to. That makes me thoroughly satisfied but perpetually exhausted, leaving me with no energy to deal with attending meetings, sending and replying emails, chasing up with what's happening with the other student projects.

Secondly, I thought I really want to have a life of my own, specifically a get away from medicine. I've always wanted to join the choir, drama group, dance classes, learn foreign languages etc, but I choose medically related extra curricular activities over those for the past years in university. Next year will be my last before my final year, and I don't really want to leave university regretting because of not doing things that I've always wanted to do. And being the vice president for Medsin as well as a medical student this year (and coordinating Crossing Borders Manchester and working as a part time auxillary nurse), I just find myself really struggling to do anything properly. I have no social life at all - all my spare time is spent on catching up with some rest. So next year I just want to enjoy myself, not take on more responsibility than what I can cope with.

1 comment:

Annie Tan Yee Leng said...

Yen.. firstly thanks for the comment for my blog. It really helps a lot. I hope you read this soon becuse I know helping others wll somehow bring some happiness in your day. After reading your comment I did realize where do all my miseries came form. I've been trying too hard to please others. Trying to do the things I'm suppose to do all the time and keeping myseld rasional 24/7. But until a certain of time things get shitty and you don't even know what are you doing this for since it's not getting you anywhere. Your body is trying to tell you that you're under lotsa pressure, and you should take your time letting go some of them. I realize that the more you focus on doing something prefect, getting the highest grade in class and being appreciated by many, and you get stress when things don't happen the way you expected. It's painful. So I'm always here to support you if you need an ear to listen or just wanna socialize a little. Don't really need me to tell you when to call me only you can call me. I hope it helps.