Saturday, February 16

Swimming

My sisters and I always enjoy swimming. Our family don't go to the swimming pool regularly. We only get to swim when we stay in a hotel which the facility is offered or a pool based theme park. Our family travel a few times a year for holiday, and when we were younger we would always pester our parents to book in a hotel which has a swimming pool. We often spend hours in the pool - the whole morning until it's too sunny that we'd get horrible sunburn and the whole evening until the pool closes.

None of us had swimming lesson. We taught ourselves how to swim. We look at how other people swim, do it ourselves, drown and choked ourselves with chorine water and try again until we can float and move ahead. Yee Leng was the first to master the skills. She's just so good. While most of us prefer to stay at the shallow end (about 4 feet deep) she would wander off by herself at the deep end. Wan Cheng is not too bad in her swimming as well, I mean she is usually ok following Yee Leng around to the deep end. I am petrified of the deep end. I can do breaststroke and freestyle reasonably well but I just get panic when I know I can't touch the floor anymore that I cannot control my breathing well. Futhermore my stamina for swimming is absolutely rubbish (which is weird because I can jog for an hour without getting very short of breath). When Wan Lee and Wan Teng were a bit younger they were quite annoying because I have to take care of them. But I remember that they really like me hugging and piggy backing them in the water. They still linger around the shallow end with me but they are fast learners and are definitely getting there.

Mummy and papa never swim. They usually sit at the pool side reading. We are always keen to show them how well we have swim or tricks that we learnt. Sometimes they'd do some armchair critics. They have to drag us out of the pool almost everytime we swim because we never have had enough.

No comments: