Saturday, February 2

Second week

Monday - Day out with the ambulance. It was exciting, being the first health professional on scene, when ABC are absolutely practical. We had a baby who was pulseless and white. I did chest compression on the baby, but we did not manage to save the baby. I felt quite upset.

Tuesday - Night shift in ED. Saw a few alcoholic fits, put in a venflon, saw ABG, learnt to take headache history. A doctor and a nurse was physically assaulted by a patient but I didn't see it, just saw the police restraining the patient after. Overall uneventful.

Wednesday - Supposedly my day off, but considering that I didn't learn much on tuesday I came in after lunch to make up for it. It was such an amazing day. Put in one venflon, did lots of ECG, saw three MIs (ST-elevation and non-ST elevation), helped in two dislocated shoulder reduction (which was rather embarassing because I was so weak....), took history from ambulance and family in presented in resus, saw a boy who presented with stridor and listen to a heart of a man with patent foramen ovale who survived till his 70s,.

Thursday - MAU was fantastic learning place. Saw lumbar puncture, an ECG with all features of hyperkalaemia (K was 7.2! scarry, the patient could have arrested anytime). Clerked three patients. One was an overdose patient who had manic depression, and talking to him was, umm, interesting. I ordered investigations (took blood and fill in x-ray card) before presenting my case, made me feel like a real doctor. Also tried ABGing but unsuccessful.

Friday - Slightly frustrating morning, had doctors who just won't let me do anything. Won't let me take a history and examine patient, won't let me take blood, won't let me glue a wound. Afternoon was slightly better, I decided that I would do febrile convulsion for my case report.

I am starting to really really enjoy the placement. But I kept avoiding the case report. I'm starting it tonight. Hope I can finish it soon so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

No comments: