Saturday, March 17

Reward in my job

Being in the endocrine team, we have a few teenage patients admitted for diabetic related problems. Fortunately, my job in Paeds allow me enough time to be able to sit down, listen and let them vent. It feels like it is the first time I am putting those 'communication skills' learnt in medical school to good use. Maybe because I have younger sisters about their age, I understand and can relate to their life more easily.

There was a teenage boy, clever, but had unfavourable social circumstance which contributed to his extremely lousy diabetic control. I brought him to chat to a kind Indian lady on haemodialysis, let him feel the fistula, see the blood spinning through the machine, and now he realised one good reason to keep his diabetes well controlled. How I wish everyone in this world can do whatever they aspire to do. This boy was interested to study medicine. He had been a diabetic since one year old and being in and out of hospital so many times had stirred up his curiosity and made him very interested in finding out more. But he can't now, because he did not believe it was possible and had taken the arts stream for SPM. There was another boy, whose diabetic control is so good that he is often overworrying and recently complained of dizzy spells. We simply did not know why is he having such symptom as examination and bloods showed that he is perfectly healthy. We built strong rapport and he finally broke down about breaking up with his girlfriend two weeks ago, which was when the symptom started. He told me why the couple broke up and a few thoughts troubling him regarding having to live with no meaning in life (which I believe is temporary as he is not doing anything at home waiting for college to begin), which sounded so familiar that I was able to give him advice him like a big sister. After the outburst, his symptom improved.

It felt good that I did not have to give any antibiotic or perform big operations to help them. I am learning from my boss. She cares for her patients. She expects her patients to call her up personally if they have any problem at all. She knows the social background of her patients well. She gives practical dietary advice and teaches insulin injection herself. She draws up many insulin action diagram in every ward round to teach us on management of diabetic in different patients. She created the insulin sliding scale many years ago but tells us now it's outdated and ought to use another approach to manage DKA. I enjoyed learning everyday. I wish I am staying longer so I can continue to see these patients, continue to help them.

.

No comments: