Thursday, February 18

Comm skills deception

I'm annoyed today. We (the fifth years not on elective in my hospital) were sent an email a while back telling us that we have to attend a mandatory communication course on health promotion. We were warned that if not we will be sent to the hospital dean to explain ourselves.


So I left the morning clinic at Wigan early to take a train to Manchester then another bus to Hope Hospital where it was held. I had to rushed all the way and reached just on time. Then I heard people around saying that it was apparently not mandatory.


After that the people running the course came in to start. What a surprise to be told that we were actually the guinea pigs for this course that they are only piloting and we were expected to fill in stupid long questionnaires before and after the session for evaluation and research purpose - our response would tell him if they should THEN make it mandatory to students in the year below us. They also had the cheek to ask for volunteers on the spot to be tape recorded for some psychology dissertation. Normally medical students are quite willing to help out with experiments, but they have gone too far this time. Only 4 out of the 25 or so there volunteered (later 2 others came forward - ?out of sympathy - I don't think they deserve it).  


It's unfair. I was raging because I felt duped into coming. I pulled a 'black face' throughout the three hour session. Luckily my group tutor was obviously not a fan of communication skills teaching business (as much as he tried to hide it). Didn't stop me from complaining. Do they realise how time consuming and expensive it is to travel to the teaching hospital when you are based on a district general? The journey that would normally take 30 minutes by car took 2 hours by public transport, and cost me £6.60 (I spent a ridiculous £13.40 on that day just on public transport!). Do they care?


I didn't find the course useful. I found it painfully patronising. My colleagues, maybe out of politeness albeit with a doubtful tone, said it was useful, but would have preferred a three hour teaching on neurology instead. My tutor remarked that he also would have been more comfortable with teaching us neurology for the last three hours.



.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think learning communication skills is something that you as a doctor should do. medical students and some doctors look at it lightly not knowing how much of an impact a good communication skill can have on patients. learn it and you will be a better doctor. sometimes we think we are nice enough, good enough and professional enough, but unless someone complains, we will never know how inadequate we have been. seriously, im sure you are a good medical student. you have the knowledge already. just a few hour-course of communication skill will not go to waste. trust me. =)

you will be a fine and knowledgeable doctor, yee yen. but communication skill comes with practice and the willingness to learn to be better at it.

Yee Yen said...

that's really good advice. who are you?!