Saturday, November 21

The future

On one of the afternoon after the home visit, my GP said he would nip back home for a while to get some soup, so I followed. My jaw dropped when I saw his house. It was the perfect house really. Big and beautiful in a guarded community in the middle of a breathtaking countryside. The kitchen looked like Gordan Ramsay house's kitchen on television. I was just quietly admiring all the bits that I could get a glimpse of while drinking my soup. I can see why they say that doctors who have reached the peak of their career are be the top 2% of the wealthiest of the nation. I have been to quite a few people's houses (mostly ordinary people) while I am here and I have never been to one like this before. I think he deserves it because he works very hard (7am until over 8pm everyday) and cares for his patient very much. He and the other GP supervising me both told me on separate occasions to treat my patients like how I would like my own parents and my own children be treated, and I guess that was what made them so successful.

I didn't choose medicine because of the money that I would earn. I hope you are not rolling your eyes because this is the truth. My GP asked how much would I earn as a doctor in Malaysia, and I said I have no idea, and that is still the honest answer. Prior to this I have NEVER had any idea of a big house and posh cars and expensive hobbies as a result of being a doctor, and now, ashamedly I am thinking about it and I think it'd be nice to have all these to look forward to as I progress further in my career. At this stage, life is hard for me and all of my fellow medical student friends. Most of us are living independent of our parents for the first time in life with quite limited money to spare. The basics are all we can afford, I don't even wander over to the luxurious range corner of the store. Free lunch in hospitals tends to make us very happy because then we don't take to spare that precious £3 on food. In addition to all these, I feel I am not like many other people. I get only the allowance from my scholarship with no supplementary income from my parents (because I don't need it unlike my friends who are rich and are always overspending). Last year I was pickpocket and I was so devastated because there was about £350 inside. Doesn't sound much but that would have been all I'd spend in a month. I am brought up to spend on only what is absolutely necessary, and I'm glad. I don't have 10 shoes or make up accessories or night out dresses like most other girls. I don't feel that I need them. So I feel quite inferior after seeing my GP's house, feel like we are a world apart, and I just cannot see myself like that in 20 years or however long time.

Just another surprise that my GP commented that my English is much better than the other two Malaysian students he's had previously who drove a Volvo and obviously not needed a grant (scholarship he meant). I told it as a really nice complement!

Something to like about eh...

.

3 comments:

Wan Cheng said...

It'd be so much easier if there's a LIKE button after every blog entry.. lol.. Jia you over there! I'm glad that we were brought up this way too!

Jasmine said...

U last time ur purse got pickpocket u not sad ecause ur purse is gone ar?? thought 350 is really a lot... but last time my purse was stolen in school i was sad not because my money is gone... is because i love that purse.... it's very hard to find those purse in M'sia u noe.. T.T

Principal Rattus said...

Like it or not, money plays an important role of our lives. I used to think like you. But the reality is, in the real world, people judge books by their covers. Unlike you, I'm neither a doctor nor a scientist. I work in the creative industry and people will look at how you look. I hate dressing up, and i hate making up. I wish I can wear my pasar malam pants to school if I can, but i can't. I need money to dress myself up or to eat well at the least. Well, I still don't hope that I have big house and cars, but I want to have at least enough for me to count every penny I spend. And ya.. I don't think you need to worry about money. I don't think you'll ever be poor. And even if you are rich and you don't need those money, it will not hurt you if you have extra. You can always give it to me. Hehe.. Just do what you're suppose to do and come what may.