Saturday, January 3

First time in 2008

The following are a few things I did for a first time in my life in 2008.

- Away from home for more than a year now (My choice and no regret. But it's been difficult. I missed my family shifting home and at least two weddings and two funerals)

- Worked over summer

- Lived with a flatmate who smoked cannabis in his room (but I didn't know it was cannabis until after he left, I only knew that the constant horrible smell in the flat made me really angry!)

- Listen, read, write, speak and do math in French

- Bought a pair of boots with two and a half inches heels

- Spent a night in freezing temperature in a bus stop

- Purse got nicked

- A few issues with guys

- Attended the Buddhist Society's meditation class

- A visit to the hairdresser in England

- Baked a cake

- Sang with 300+ people and a full orchestra


Also as a medical student, I see new things everyday. These are a few momentous ones in 2008 I shall remember forever.

- Worked a night shift

- Sat in an ambulance in action

- Did CPR > did not manage to save anyone

(And subsequently)

- Watched people die. (These were hard. Ever so swamped with feeling of incompetence and inadequacy whenever I think about them)

- Clerked in my own patients. I love it!

- Made mistakes in medicine. Been judgemental, arrogant, inconsiderate, snobbish etc etc. Forced to acknowledge the ugly and stupid side of myself.

- Assisted in theatre. Hammered the metalwork into someone's knee

- Saw actual DNA in test tubes

- Three mere passes in the OSCE examinations indicate that I am ultimately only an average student (should I bother proving the trend wrong...?)

- Reviewed the student BMJ. (I am a fourth year medical student, not a fifth year as stated in the webpage)

- Attended a medical education conference for GPs as a student volunteer. Was embarrassed by the attention given, but had thoroughly enjoyed the day.

I think that's it for year 2008. Happy New Year 2009 everyone!



.

4 comments:

Wan Cheng said...

I've seen actual DNA in test tubes last year too! Was it the detergent and alchohol method? I only knew at tat time y ppl say SDS causes cancer..

Ur year sounds pretty interesting compared to mine.. Hahaha.. Anyway i'll update my blog soon la! Dun rush me ok? Have a wonderful year ahead!

Yee Yen said...

I saw the DNA during the tour to the molecular genetics lab. I didn't actually process it myself. There are several methods, but on that day the automatic machine broke down, so it was done manually using the Phenol:Chloroform method:

Red cell lysis, collect white cell pellet, Proteinase K digest, Phenol:chloroform removel of impurities, ethanol precipitation of DNA, redissolve DNA in TE buffer.

There is another manual method - 'Boil' (Red cell lysis, boil sample in NaOH solution, neutralise) but the DNA we get is of low purity, low concentration, low yield compared to the Phenol:chloroform method.

Interesting isn't it?!

Annie Tan Yee Leng said...

How does DNA looks like?? Visible under bare eyes? What colours is it??

Yee Yen said...

DNA looks like dark fine strings suspended on clear water, visible to naked eyes.

Also one more thing to add is I see optic discs on the retina for the first time in my life in 2008.