Saturday, January 5

Surgery

Yesterday was my last day of the four weeks attachment on the general surgical firm. Overall I have really enjoyed it. I love learning about the surgical diseases. It's refreshing to see the surgical approach of managing a patient. And it's useful to know that surgeons don't just operate on people. In fact, a large proportion of their time revolves around thinking how they can avoid operating on patients. The doctors have been absolutely amazing.

One thing I kind of did not enjoy was being in theatre. I despised wearing the oversized scrubs (which was often the smallest size left). I hated the crocs as they are so uncomfortable. I don't really like watching the operations. Most of the time in theatre I just felt bored and uncomfortable, like I didn't belong there. Also doing laproscopic surgery is like watching the surgeon trying to get around winning the playstation game, and I can't imagine myself ever being good at that.

But besides that all is well. The wards are just like any other medical wards, except that overall the patients looked better. As always I love talking to patients. I felt that I have learnt abdominal examination properly during this attachment, and can take focused history when a patient presents with an acute abdomen. My whole experience could have been much better if I get along better with my group. I have described my views about my group in my previous posts. And I have come to terms that I cannot change them if they are not willing to change themselves. So for the last week I have not really spoken to any of the people in the group. I've actually felt like I don't want to even see the sight of them or hear their voice for one second. I actually thought of throwing away a christmas present that I got from the group secret santa we played last christmas. That's awful isn't it? I don't know how come I can be so nasty. But I just couldn't stand their behaviour. Last week all of them again decided that a teaching would not be happening and hence we should all go home. It's not all of them that I disliked. Some of them were alright. Nevertheless I'm so glad that we will be splitting up next week.

No comments: